Remember the days when social media was a virtually free way of advertising your watches and retail services?
That may still be true if you are posting your own special offers to a few thousand followers, but using the power of celebrity to boost your image is more expensive today than any of the traditional media promotions like TV, radio and print advertising it has displaced.
An Instagram Rich List compiled by Hopper HQ, a UK-based company that runs social media accounts on behalf of companies and individuals, shows that the world’s biggest stars are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds for a single post.
Tudor’s brand ambassador David Beckham is the highest paid British celebrity, and earns $300,000 for a single post, according to Hopper HQ.
Kendall Jenner, who fronted Daniel Wellington’s promotions last year, was paid half a million dollars per post.
Brazilian football star Neymar, who frequently posts on behalf of Gaga Milano watches, is said to earn $600,000 per post. Gaga Milano is distributed in the UK by Argento Fine Products.
The full Hopper HQ Rich List is:
Top five international earners
1. Kylie Jenner: 111 million followers, $1m (£760,000) per post
2. Selena Gomez: 139 million followers, $800,000 per post
3. Cristiano Ronaldo: 137 million followers, $750,000 per post
4. Kim Kardashian West: 114 million followers, $720,000 per post
5. Beyonce Knowles: 116 million followers, $700,000 per post
6. Dwayne Johnson: 111 million followers, $650,000 per post
7. Justin Bieber: 101 million followers, $630,000 per post
8. Neymar da Silva Santos Junior: 100 million followers, $600,000 per post
9. Lionel Messi: 97 million followers, $500,000 per post
10. Kendall Jenner: 93 million followers, $500,000 per post
Top five British earners
1. David Beckham: 49 million followers, $300,000 per post
2. Gareth Bale: 35 million followers, $185,000 per post
3. Zoe Sugg: 10 million followers, $16,000 per post
4. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: 8 million followers, $11,500 per post
5. Jamie Oliver: 6 million followers, $8,000 per post