We could argue that blue is the colour of the year every year for the watch industry, but the Swiss will be cheered that the Pantone Colour of the Year 2020 is Pantone 19-4502 Classic Blue.
Classic Blue symbolises protection, stability, peace, and confidence, as well as encouraging deep thinking, open mindfulness, and communication, the company says.
To bring the colour of Classic Blue to life, Pantone partnered with Firmenich, AudioUX, LANDR, and The Inside to provide a multi sensory experience that describes the Colour of the Year in language the design community embraces, including:
- The sight of the Colour of the Year 2020 Pantone 19-4502 Classic Blue: Imprinted in our psyches as a restful colour, Classic Blue brings a sense of peace and tranquility to the human spirit, offering refuge. A reflective blue tone, Classic Blue fosters resilience.
- The sound of the Colour of the Year 2020, in partnership with Audio UX: The sound of Classic Blue, Vivid Nostalgia, is nostalgic and takes us to a place that is comforting and familiar.
- The texture of the Colour of the Year 2020, in partnership with The Inside: The feel of the color fabric translates into a soft, velvety texture, further emphasising the calming quality of the colour, while eliciting feelings of empowerment to expand the mind and build foundation for the future.
- The taste and scent of the Colour of the Year 2020, in partnership with Firmenich: The taste of the color is described as gentle and elegant, and explores the idea of maturing through ripening.
- The scent of the Colour of the Year 2020, also in partnership with Firmenich: The scent of the color elicits contemplation and a feeling of optimism for the future, with notes of blue water and sea salt lifted by airy sky.
“As we all head into a new era, we wanted to challenge ourselves to find inspiration from new sources that not only evolve our Colour of the Year platform, but also help our global audiences achieve richer and more rewarding color experiences,” said Laurie Pressman, vice president of the Pantone Colour Institute in a release. “This desire, combined with the emotional properties of PANTONE 19-4052 Classic Blue, motivated us to expand beyond the visual, to bring the 2020 Pantone Colour of the Year to life through a multi-sensory experience.”